5 ways to prepare for your Blogging Photoshoot
I have the privilege of photographing some of Atlanta's most influential fashion and lifestyle bloggers on a regular basis and have since learned how to advise my clients on making the most of their time with me. When you are paying a photographer an hourly rate, it is important to be organized in order to afford the photoshoot, as well as to fit in all the looks and scenes you have prepared. Today I'm sharing my top 5 tips on how to best prepare for your Blogging Photoshoot.
1. First things first. Money. Yep, let's talk about it. You shouldn't be reaching into your own pocket to pay for your photographer. Instead, reach out to the brands you want to represent and share your rates with them. Start by at least covering the cost of your photoshoot. The brands will understand and will WANT to make sure that the imagery representing their product is top notch and therefore shouldn't mind paying for such high quality work. Explain this to them. Doing this WELL in advance is very important and will ultimately set the stage for how your blog fares as a BUSINESS.
2. Shoot for the next season. Remember that it will take time to get your images back. Then, it will take you time to select your favorites, write up your piece and organize your social media accounts with all the imagery. If you shoot bathing suits in August, you'll be disappointed when September rolls around and your finally posting them. I know, I know. Shooting that big heavy coat in Atlanta's 90 degree September weather is no fun. But your blog is a business. And planning well in advance is key to running any type of successful business.
3. Run a "dress rehearsal". A couple of days prior to your photoshoot, lay out all of your outfits and put them in an order that seems most efficient. For example, if you are wearing the same pair of jeans with two outfits, put those outfits one after another. Put on the dress next, because you can quickly throw it on over your pants and then shimmy outta those pants... allowing you to change in the public places we so often find ourselves changing in ;) Now, actually try on all these outfits the way your would change into them at the shoot and decide if that order is in fact, most efficient. Swap around an outfit or too if need be! Assess whether certain underthings might be necessary to look your best or make changing even more efficient. Would a little tank top create a situation where you can swap tops in the street? Did you remember to pack the strapless bra for the little dress? Etc. During your dress rehearsal is the perfect time to "note" all the things you love most about each outfit. We photographers want to know these things so we can make sure to capture all the details you'll want to discuss in your blog piece.
4. Hang each outfit onto one hanger and put those hangers in the appropriate order. Hang them in your car instead of wadding them up in a duffle bag; Wrinkles will not show that brand that you are representing them well.
5. I cannot even begin to tell you the number of times a blogger has said to me, after the shoot, "Oh no, I forgot to change out my jewelry!" Buy a few little drawstring baggies and hang them on each of the hangers with the coordinating jewelry. If you want to change lipsticks for a look, put the lipstick in that baggie too.
What are some thing you do to prepare for you blogging photoshoots? I'd love to hear them below!